Sunday, September 18, 2011

A response to the film, which though critically hated, mattered to me, Fire Walk With Me

The internet is an extension of the wondrous, abounding human sense of humor.

Read this as I say it:
Twice lately, has my father received from "me", an email suggesting to him that he, look into, buying for himself, a bottle of capsules, of the performance, allowing, drug, Viagra.

An email account I made in middle school.

I don't see the point of things if they don't, at least a little bit, make me laugh. I laughed when my friend, who was not my girlfriend, because I don't like girls and she didn't like me, tried to go down on me. I laughed, as you know, when my sister went berserk, I laughed when, after an hour, someone discovered that the Eucharist was still in my mouth-- I wanted to see, I wanted to see how long it would last, or how much trouble I would be in, not with the priest not with the parent not with the teacher but with the Lord, I thought he and I had it all in good standing, I thought he and I were good friends. I chewed daily on my gold cross necklace, which means I wore it, daily.


Father and sex father and sex and father and sex father and sex sex and father.
Father: I could be saying farther, with an accent, who'd know.
Farther and sex and farther sex and farther sex and farther and sex sex and farther.


I wouldn't post this if not for my lovely optimism. Old Friend, I haven't seen you in too long. Please, "don't be a stranger."

4 comments:

  1. Does the line about the Viagara need all the commas? Are they supposed to mimic the inability to 'keep it up'? If so, I think it's clever though a bit over the top but in a good way? I can't decide. This piece reads like a peephole into your sense of humor, but I am confused or thrown off at times, namely with the Father sex thing, who your Old Friend is (Humor, Lord, Father?), and the awkwardness of the third line.

    The opening line acts as a second title, which then makes me wonder what the opening title means and I arrive at the conclusion that your humor is 'Lynchian,' which hopefully isn't far off.

    This piece is very involved and I enjoyed that, but again, I got confused at points, which made me read it about thirty times so maybe that's not such a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the end: father and sex father and sex farther and sex farther and sex. There's something that makes sense about humor getting us "farther" from sex. Andy Warhol is not someone who's philosophies I necessarily take to heart, but he did say one clever thing about sex and humor: "people can't be funny and sexy at the same time." This piece begins to deal with that concept with the girl going down on you and you laughing, and maintains it with the lasting impression of sending your father viagra emails. nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Lynch's work can evoke complicated and ambivalent responses. I was initially seduced by Twin Peaks but by the end of the series felt like the audience was being manipulated and treated with disdain. It would be interesting to look at the director's politics and his art to see how the one informs the other. Anyway, this post is a little Lynchian: coy, withholding, fragmented, provocative (these are observations, not criticisms). I did not see Fire, Walk with Me so feel like I may not be getting some of the allusions (Old Friend?). There's something here that might be worth exploring further, but you'll have to give the reader more context (the film, yourself, the role of the internet in this). Essays in fragments require a critical mass; there must be enough fragments and enough in them to allow the reader to piece it together into something cohesive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl. Thought I’d actually give this a proper critique.

    Mirroring the first person, yes, I think that line might need some work. It may be attempting humor but it’s lost in the distraction. Also, passive voice is typically (always) a bad idea with some exceptions. I also wouldn’t put the next line in a new line, but have it follow a :

    I think throughout this section the division of sentences with asides and commas gets a little repetitive. I think most could be taken out.
    You already know which line I adore.

    I too am confused who Old Friend is. I assume it refers to optimism because it immediately follows that… if that isn’t your intention it might need some reworking.

    ReplyDelete