Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Highlight of My Day

3:23, approximate, and I am walking Freret St. home from school, looking at my feet and dry leaves against the concrete. That spot where a piece of sidewalk dips as I step on it is my favorite.

3:26 I glance right, as I am likely to do, and happen to meet eyes with a little chinese girl riding the school bus who, as she is likely to do, glances left. She waves to me. I wave back.

Two observations about eye-contact: One and great is an instant, self-generated assurance that eye-contact is occurring. Two and frustrating is the implicit indeterminateness of what the contact means to the other person and what its ramifications are for both persons as a unit.

3:26:30 - 3:38:45 The bus passes me, stops in traffic, as I pass it I glance again and a repeat of minute 3:26, now with a synchronized smile, like together we've been caught. The bus  continues and passes me, stops in traffic, a repeat of the first clause of the prior line, now we both giggle.

One observation about smiling: unfeigned smiling is also insuppressible.

6 comments:

  1. I like how you've recently written posts like these--short moments, little bursts. The importance of interactions with others, finding the extraordinary in ordinary situations--the stuff of good poetry is here, rendered in approachable nonfiction prose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked reading this. It's nice that it's so short because it's about an encounter that is so short. I love your attention to detail and this gave me such a warm feeling after reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could probably make a full piece out of a collection of moments like these. Very enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you presented this piece: from the title, illuminating what follows as "the highlight of your day," to the timestamps on each moment, making them real and gives them a degree of importance.
    Very eloquent. I really liked the portrayal of this 'chance meeting' as important and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this piece. The last line especially, "unfeigned smiling is also insuppressible." That sums up the encounter you describe really well and is an honest yet evocative statement. I would love to see you write a collection of short encounters like this. Sometimes the random moments/ encounters in life are the most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Short but cute. I like how you talk about just the simple connection humans share through eye contact, a wave, and a giggle.

    ReplyDelete