Saturday, January 21, 2012
copy that
We were sitting there and I don't remember: in some minute way there was friction, like there are three of us and none of us remembers a song that we all knew, collective gas, so I began with the absurd: sometimes guys I think about being in a relationship (1 to 1) with myself or being in a room (1 to 1 to 1) or let's say being in the world (1^7,000,000,000) with copies of Emma and the point you guys is that nothing would get done, we'd all just be sitting there, looking at each other, though ultimately not looking at each other, because can you imagine coping with being in the presence of yourself?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The title evokes radio shorthand for acknowledgement: "i hear you" or "I understand." Because there is an authorial attribution we know that "Emma" is (also) the author, and given that this is a meditation on multiple selves, also the narrator who is therefore referring to herself in the third person(s). It's less clear who the "we" refers to, and the "guys." The first "guys," without an article or commas to set it off from the rest of the text, reads like "guys I think about being in a relationship...with" though "...the point you guys is..." with the article is more clearly an address to the others who make up the "we" as in "...the point, you guys, is..." ! want to say copy that but also want a little more out of this, perhaps more about the minute friction, the collective gas.
ReplyDelete