The best thing to do would be to practice silence. Yesterday I hugged my aunt, said I was sorry then asked if she'd been talking about it a lot, it a euphemism for her just-dead sister. Her face made me feel stupid and she said well, yes, I have been talking about it. Then she cried and I'll be damned so did my uncle. We ate beef tongue, good though garlic-heavy, and evidently the Archbishop now prohibits eulogies in order that the mass be post-life oriented. In other news the installation of a pace-maker retails at 70,000 dollars; my father is repulsed--as if he will have say!-- by cremation; capitalism is a dream and the president a driller; southern fleas resist poison.
ineluctable the fantasies before sleep
unapproachable people whose hearts I hurt
ein gutes deutsches Wort
Sensucht und Heimweh
Engste
liebe liebe liebe ... pale Lena
they pulled out her teeth on film
this is the voice of a robot trying to be human among the other humans (i.e. this is the voice of a human)
ReplyDelete"as if he will have say!" I would put "as if he will have a say!" I think it sounds better, I stumbled a bit over that line. I wonder why you chose to switch into line breaks. That being said, I wonder what this piece is about--what ties it all together. I saw a connection between the eating of beef tongue (a very specific and unusual part of a cow's anatomy) aunt talking about the death of her sister. Eating a tongue gives the image of swallowed speech, holding things in. The fact that the aunt claims to be talking about the death of her sister and eating tongue gives the impression that she's not REALLY talking about it. After all, how can we adequately approach the subject of death? The church controlling the language of Mass also ties in here: what we do and don't say about death. Pace makers--a literalization, reenactment of life (the heart). You used a semi colon preceding "capitalism is a dream and the president a driller; southern fleas resist poison" and I'm wondering how this statement is necessarily related to the president being a driller and mosquito's in the south being resistant to poison. I see some connections throughout the piece, but it's mostly guess work.
ReplyDelete